Sunday, June 3, 2007

"Having is not so pleasing a thing as wanting. It is not logical, but often true."

When I was 15, my Dad and I bought a 1985 Jeep CJ-7. It ran, but couldn't move.

We spent the next few years returning it to road-going condition. It was never perfect, but I sure learned a lot.

Two of the things I learned:
1. The styling of older Jeeps is iconic and magnetic, and,
2. It used relatively primitive engineering to hold it together and make it go.

The 1952 Willys Jeep I encountered over the Memorial Day weekend reinforced both these lessons.

From down here, it looks almost heroic.


















I'd kill to drive a car with a gas can on the fender.











Notice how much more the brake was used than the clutch.

Also: circular pedals are awesome.


I think found four speeds with this unmarked shift knob but I expected only three. Although it seems to lead into the transfer case, I don't know what the lever in the middle does.




This alone might be worth the $1,100 asking price (to my mind).




It's appropriate that the speedometer uses the smallest values to measure MPH. Even if you're going 50, you're still going pretty slowly.



If I thought I could get it into my apartment to work on it, I would have bought it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey man, nice find. You should have bought it and moved into it! Then it would definitely fit in your apartment. That other lever may have been attached to a Warn Overdrive unit. If you'd gotten a picture of the transmission and transfer case from below I could tell you for sure what it does. Cheers.

Anonymous said...

hi! Excuse my english, i live in argentina and i have an "Estanciera". Is a willys station wagon made in argentina, mod. 62. If you are interested i have many pictures. Just mail me andresmazur@hotmail.com
type "estanciera" in subject.
bye

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.